NIH SUMMER INTERN SCIENCE SKILLS BOOT CAMP
Are you a high school or college student starting your first research experience?
Do you want to learn how researchers think, and what tools they use to advance science?
Do you want to learn more about the NIH research environment?
Are you eager to meet other summer students?
If you answered yes to these questions, then join us for Boot Camp!
This one-day training program is designed for NIH summer interns with little or no prior research experience. Come develop the skills you need to be successful in science! Get acquainted with NIH research culture. Learn about different tools and techniques commonly used in research. And, get useful and practical tips on giving group meeting, keeping a notebook, and reading scientific papers. Organized and co-taught by Dr. Ella Klenke with help from NIH postdocs, workshops will include both lecture and interactive activities.
Previous workshops have included:
- The Culture of Research Environments
- Communicating Science: Reading a Scientific Paper, Keeping a Lab Notebook, and Giving Group Meeting
- Scientific Questions, Tools, and Techniques
REGISTRATION FOR 2015 SUMMER WILL OPEN EARLY MAY 2015. The Science Skills Boot Camp is only open to students already accepted to the NIH Summer Internship Programs.
Please register for a single date:
Friday, June 5, 2015. 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Bethesda Campus.
Friday, June 19, 2015. 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Bethesda Campus.
Tuesday, June 23, 2015. 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Bethesda Campus.
Thursday, June 25, 2015. 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. FREDERICK CAMPUS.
Friday, June 26, 2015. 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. BALTIMORE CAMPUS.
We recommend that all Boot Camp students register for "Creating and Presenting Dynamic Posters" on July 8, 2015. Students attending Boot Camp should also watch the Webinar on Reading a Scientific Article on the OITE online resources Web page. Finally, students are encouraged to register for a Summer Intern Journal Club (registration will open in early May 2015).
- If you already have research experience, please attend a session of "Planning a Successful NIH Summer Internship" instead of Boot Camp.
- If you have little or no research experience, please attend the Science Skills Boot Camp instead of "Planning a Succesful NIH Summer Internship". Do NOT attend both.
- Your Institute/Center may also offer an orientation. Contact your Summer Coordinator for information and be certain to attend!
For more information, please contact Dr. Ella Klenke.