GPP Institutional Partnership
The NIH has established several formal partnerships with universities, domestic and international, that allow students to perform dissertation research within the NIH Intramural Research Program. Matriculants are considered both full-time students at the home university and NIH pre-doctoral trainees from the beginning of graduate school. Students fulfill their academic requirements at the university while performing part or all of their dissertation research in a research group within the NIH Intramural Research Program (IRP).
Prospective students wishing to enroll must meet the eligibility requirements of the NIH-University Institutional Partnership and complete all required applications by the specified deadlines. There are two application forms for students wishing for admission through the Institutional Partnerships: GPP Application Required for Full Admission Consideration and GPP Application Required After the Applicant is Selected for Matriculation. Visit the links below for additional details about these options, required applications, deadlines, and interviews dates. Contact either the OITE or the NIH-University Partnership Directors (PDs) with any questions or concerns.
The OITE has developed a number of workshops, seminars and courses to enhance your experience at NIH. These events are designed to help transition you from student to colleague and give you the necessary tools and skills to take that next career step; whether it is in academia, industry, administration, science policy or any of the various paths that an advanced degree in the biomedical sciences can take you. Review the Events section to learn more about these opportunities. Matriculants should register for an Orientation for Postdoctoral Fellows and Graduate Students upon arrival.
GPP Application Required for Full Admission Consideration - used by students wishing to enroll in a PhD graduate program; Institutional Partnership Long-Form for Prospective PhD Students.
- NIH-University Partnerships - Required Applications and Deadlines
- Apply Now - The GPP applicaiton for Fall 2016 admission is open. (updated August 2, 2016)
- GPP Application for Fall 2016 admission must be submitted by: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2015 at 11:59PM ET. (updated July 27, 2015)
- University Application deadline may be different than GPP application deadline
- Three recommendation letters must be submitted by MONDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2015 at 11:59PM ET for Fall 2016 admission. (updated July 27, 2015)
- Coursework and grades for your entire academic history must be included in your application. Official transcripts are not needed during this phase of the admission process. Matriculants will need to provide official transcripts.
- GRE General Test scores must be included in your application. A few partnerships may accept MCAT scores in lieu of the GRE General Test. Official copies of the standardized examination reports are not needed during this phase of the admission process. Matriculants will need to provide official standardized examination scores.
- Interview dates for admission
GPP Application Required After the Applicant is Selected for Matriculation - used by PhD graduate students that have recently matriculated into an NIH-University Institutional Partnership that did not require the GPP application for admission consideration; Institutional Partnership Short-Form for Matriculants
- NIH-University Partnerships - US Citizens and International Citizens
- Apply Now - Application form is open all year
- No deadline for the GPP application
- No recommendation letters for the GPP application