Graduate Student Research Symposium
February 15, 2024
About the Symposium
The 20th annual NIH Graduate Student Research Symposium is the premier event for NIH graduate students to showcase their research to the NIH community. All graduate students performing their Ph.D. dissertation research within the NIH Intramural Research Program are highly encouraged to present, and all members of the NIH community are invited to attend.
We're excited to be back fully in person for our 20th Symposium. Join us for this exciting event and meet the faces of tomorrow's science.
- Poster presentations on the dissertation research of NIH graduate students.
- Oral presentations by current NIH graduate students selected based on their abstract submission.
- An elevator pitch competition by NIH Graduate Students.
- The NIH Graduate Student Research Awards (NGSRA) - travel/educational awards presented to the top poster presenters, judged by NIH Postdoctoral fellows, Staff Scientists, and Staff Clinicians. One of these awards is reserved exclusively for a poster submitted in the "New Proposal" category.
- Graduation ceremony honoring students who have recently defended their dissertations.
- Presentation of the annual GPP Outstanding Mentor Awards.
Each year, several graduate students, in conjunction with the GPP office, organize the symposium. Members of the symposium committee include:
GPP Staff Members
- Philip Wang, PhD, GPP Director
- Phil Ryan, PhD, GPP Deputy Director, Graduate Programs and Student Services
- Laura Marler, PhD, GPP Director of Student Services
Student Committee Members
- Jose Delgado, CC and University of Maryland
- Ben Filio, NINDS and Brown University
- Smriti Kanangat, NCI and Emory University
- Vivian Morris, NCI and Johns Hopkins University
- Brad Olinger, NIA and Johns Hopkins University
- Rima Sakhawala, NIDDK and Johns Hopkins University
Reach out to us with questions at GSCsymposium@od.nih.gov.
Graduate Partnerships Program (GPP)
An opportunity for graduate students to perform research within the NIH Intramural Research Program while enrolled in a doctoral program in the U.S. or abroad
Resources for scientific presentation skills and grant writing
Career Services Center
Helping intramural trainees and fellows take the next step in their educational or career journey.