Welcome to the NIH OITE
The OITE is a trans-NIH resource for summer and academic year interns, postbacs, graduate students, and postdoctoral, clinical, and research fellows in the NIH Intramural Research Program. Our mission is to enhance the training experience of trainees and fellows, at all educational levels, and on all NIH campuses.
In the OITE, we believe that:
- The future of biomedical research and the health of our nation depends on the diversity, vitality, talent, well-being, and resilience of today’s students and emerging scientists.
- The successful leaders of tomorrow must have a broad skill set, preparing them to work on complex teams in a variety of settings.
- Trainees and fellows need strong advocates and individualized resources to tend to their unique needs and to thrive at NIH and beyond.
We work with the NIH IC training offices to support our trainees and fellows in developing six core competencies important for careers in healthcare, research, and research-related fields:
- Career Readiness
- Ethics and Responsible Conduct
- Teaching and Mentoring
- Leadership; Management; and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
- Well-being and Resilience
We are a diverse group of staff with experience in research, administration, information technology, career development, well-being, and education. We serve applicants to NIH intramural research training programs, current trainees, NIH intramural investigators and staff. We also share resources with students, fellows, and faculty outside of the NIH.
We are passionate about our jobs and are here to encourage and support you throughout your NIH training experience. We are located on the second floor of Building 2 on the main NIH campus in Bethesda, MD. Our offices are open week-days from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. We meet with trainees and fellows in-person and via Zoom. Reach out, come by, and take advantage of our resources!