UGSP Payback Information
Deferment of UGSP Payback
Your post-graduation service obligation may be deferred while you complete undergraduate, graduate or professional school programs leading to a doctoral degree. Please contact the UGSP if you wish to defer your payback during completion of your medical residency or fellowship program.
To defer your UGSP service obligation, please complete the Deferment Form.
Please notify the UGSP at UGSP@od.nih.gov when you have submitted the deferment form to the institution you are attending.
UGSP Yearlong Payback Guidelines
The service obligation incurred under the UGSP contract must be performed as an employee of the NIH, in assignments subject to the discretion of the Director.
Contact the UGSP at least twelve weeks prior to your desired payback start date. UGSP Scholars returning to complete their payback after the beginning of the calendar year may request to participate in an upcoming January Mentor Match, as a way to gain an opportunity to interview with potential mentors. To be eligible for this option, you must contact the UGSP office by October and confirm at least three interviews.
As a current scholar in the NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program (UGSP), you must reapply annually for continued scholarship support (no more than 4 years of scholarship total). This page describes the renewal procedure.
To be eligible for a renewed scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled or plan to enroll as a full-time student for the upcoming academic year at an accredited 4-year undergraduate institution.
- Have a grade point average of at least 3.3 (on a 4.0 scale) or be ranked within the top 5% of your class.
- Receive a favorable recommendation from your university mentor and your NIH summer research lab supervisor.
- Demonstrate your continued commitment to a biomedical research career by preparing three personal statements assessing the benefits you've received from the UGSP, your progress this academic year, and your goals for the next academic year.
All renewals will be contingent upon your completing the entire summer program and receiving a favorable assessment of your participation in the summer program from your NIH laboratory mentor.
Renewal applications must be received by TBA. All applicants for renewal to the UGSP must also file for other Federal and University Financial Aid.
Renewal Application Materials (Matriculate Applications)
- Matriculant Renewal Application Form
- Academic Enrollment Certification and Service Obligation Deferment Form (Deferment Form; Updated 23 August 2016)
Key dates for UGSP Scholars
- September 23, 2016 - Biosketch Due
- October 3, 2016 - Mentor Match List Due
- January 4-6, 2017 - Mentor Match
- January 27, 2017 - Mentor Choice Due
- June 27, 2017 - Renewal Application Opens
- July 11, 2017 - Renewal Application Deadline (Scholar Deadline)
- July 18, 2017 - Renewal Application Deadline (Reference Deadline)